Ever wondered what the democrat utopia of high taxes for the rich, a heavily regulated economy, and reactionary money policy would be? What would happen if every whim that every democrat ever had were instantly fulfilled?
Zimbabwe is ruled by a thug. The people are incapable of organizing an effective resistance against the government, which murdered and drove out all of the so-called “rich” people a long time ago, giving their land to the “poor”.
Imagine an economy where the following were true:
- You can’t withdraw any money from the bank because the bank has no cash to give you.
- Whatever cash you did have was rapidly diminishing in value.
- Whatever cash you had in a foreign currency was useless because using that cash is punished.
- Exchanging foreign currency into cash is impossible. The state-mandated rates are way higher than the market value.
- If you own anything, anything at all, it would be taken from you or legislated away into uselessness.
- If you don’t own anything, you can’t buy anything because there is nothing to buy anymore, not even food, at any price.
- If you are a teacher or a doctor, you can’t get paid enough money to make it worth your time to be a doctor or a teacher. Instead, your only hope is to go out and work on a farm for the chance you might get some food.
- If you need a teacher or a doctor, you can’t find one, not at any price.
The society is in complete collapse. Since the government, which at one point was democratic, is incapable of changing (no one dare vote for an opponent, nor dare oppose the government), there is no hope anything will change.
These are the warning signs of things going bad like Zimbabwe. Look for them in an election near you.
- People being elected by force or by threats of force or by foul play. People not even attempting to challenge incumbents because it is dangerous to do so. People not daring to support an opponent because it is suicide.
- Elected officials going beyond the law to bring more socialism to the area. That is, bringing government into areas where government didn’t used to be.
- Government interfering with free trade by imposing limits to how much or what kind of trade can occur.
- Government unfairly taxing the rich because they are rich.
- Government unfairly taking property away from the rich and giving it to the poor in the name of social justice.
Unfortunately, people don’t recognize these warning signs anymore. When a democrat talks about “soaking the rich”, people should shriek in terror, even the poorest of the poor. See, the rich have a very important function in society: They make sure that economic resources are being used efficiently, and they make sure that there are jobs which actually bring a benefit to the economy. Most of the law exists to protect the rich from those who don’t like them because without those protections, nobody would be capable of becoming rich and we would all be poor.